Search

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Expected Tax Refund Strategy

Bird in Hand – Tax Refund 2007?

Each year, my goal is to obtain a tax refund in the neighborhood of $500. Any more, I am giving Uncle Sam an interest free loan. Any less, I risk having an unhappy surprise.

Through trial and error, I have figured out the correct number of exemptions for a normal year. This year, I changed jobs and “took” some deferred income from my prior employer. As a result, I know I am going to get a huge refund.

With a wedding to plan and pay for, I have been trying to figure out exactly how much it will be. Using the tax estimator on TaxCut.com and other sites, the estimate varies by up to 3 thousand dollars. Since this year’s version of TaxCut is not available, I used last year’s version and got the largest estimate yet.

Despite the good news, I learned the hard way a bird in hand is worth two in the bush when it comes to taxes. A few years ago, I expected a refund of $2,000 and spent it. Much to my horror, I discovered an error in the returned and ended up paying $1,000. A $3,000 swing to the negative is not good.

As for this year, I will keep the refund in mind; but, I will not “spend” it until it is my ING Direct account earning interest.

If it comes in as expected, I am planning on paying down the balance of my non-subsidized student loan.

1 comment:

Seo Link Master said...

You need us if you have any of these tax problems: Back
Taxes
, Unfiled Returns, Missing Records, Threat of Levy, or, if you need an Installment Agreement or an Offer in Compromise A tax levy or garnishment or attachment are all the same thing. The terms may be used interchangeably. A wage garnishment or levy may be against any asset. In the enforcement of tax collections. We prepare all Federal and State Unfiled tax Returns The Fair Tax Act (HR
25/S 1025) is a bill in the United States Congress for changing Tax Solutions laws to replace the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and all federal income taxes (including Alternative Minimum Tax), Past due tax returns, Past due tax returns, Past due returns, Past due taxes, Unpaid tax, Tax negotiation, Wage levy, Robert M. Adams, Bob Adams, Try to Be Happy, Search Engine Optimization