Search

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Personal Finances and the Fiancé

Because we are paying for our wedding and honeymoon next year, my fiancé and I have been forced into significant conversations about personal finance. Thankfully, the conversations gone well and we have reasonable expectations about post-marriage financial life. We know where we stand and where we want to be before the wedding.

Nevertheless, our conversations woke me up to how different our personalities are. A teacher and an artist, her emotional approach to problem solving is in stark contrast to my black/white approach to life. She calls me relentless and she is right.

Last week, she faced a financial aid problem related to her Masters program. Explaining what happened, she told me what happened and started asking "what if" questions about her options:
1. Will the school allow me to pay off the balance on a payment plan? What is the interest rate and/or fees associated?

2. Should I reduce my savings/debt reduction plan temporarily?
3. Should I charge in on a credit card? (we decided no)
4. Should I raid my emergency fund?
5. Should I ....

Talking about it, she mentioned how proud she was of her new approach to dealing with financial problems. Instead of "hating money," she is learning to get what she needs from what she has. This "new" approach to financial problem tells me she "gets" my approach.

As for me, I trying to take more joy from things like watching her grade papers on my back porch while I work in the yard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).