Search

Thursday, November 15, 2007

My Bet on an HSA

Today, I made my employee benefits for 2008 and decided to bet on our new Health Savings Account for the first 8 months of the year. In August, I will get married and change to my wife's plan.

This is how I hope things will work out.
1. For 8 months, I save a decent amount on my premium;
2. My company will contribute $600 towards my deductible on January 1, 2008
3. I will make sure I make the maximum allowable contribution before the wedding
4. I expect to spend $60 on prescriptions during the 8 month period.
5. Otherwise, I am hoping to avoid any treatments. Using my current plan, I just had a complete physical for a $20 co-pay.
6. Hopefully, I will end up with over $2,000 sitting in a tax deferred account. With the savings on taxes and the company contribution, I hope to save about $1,000 in after tax dollars.

Wish me luck.

No comments: