Search

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Free Bus Passes

Reading through our office newletter, I noticed a note on 10 free bus rides offered by Connecticut's public transportation agency. Apparently, they think giving someone 10 free rides (plus a hotline for advice on "how to") can increase ridership.

My take - great idea. Since replacing the Saab with the SUV (aka - the guzzler), I have been considering public transportation and/or carpool options. With this program, I am going to give it a shot. There is a park/ride not far from my house and they swear it is an express bus to a building a block from my office.

Honestly, I don't believe I will take the bus everyday.
1. I like to run errands on the way to/from work. I expect I will need my car at least 1 time per week.
2. My fiance and I are considering a carpool. Once she finishes her masters program, we hope to carpool 2-3 times per week. Unfortunately, it means I get to work 1 hour early.

As for riding the bus, I did it for over a year when I lived in Manhattan. My friends, all from the city, thought I was nuts for taking bus from the UES to Murray Hill instead of the subway. Although faster, the subway was dirty and crowded. On the bus, I could read my Wall Street Journal in peace. The buses tended to have working AC in the summer and heat in the winter.

No comments: