Search

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Unexpected Vacation Savings

Fires in Myrtle Beach forced use to abandon our hotel a few days early. As a result, we saved a few hundred dollars in room charges + food for a few days. All in, I think we did very well.

Our Trip Report

  1. We decided to dump the rental car and took the SUV on the trip. By doing so, we saved approximately $300.
  2. We stayed in a budget MicroTel Hotel on the way down. At $62 per night, it was clean "enough" but that is about it.
  3. We packed cooler with food and drinks for the drive. As a result, we avoided stopping for breakfast and lunch both coming and going.
  4. We stayed at the Avista Resort in North Myrtle Beach. They were friendly and the rooms were comfortable. With a kitchenette, we generally ate out for dinner. For breakfast (and some lunches), we ate in the room.
  5. I spent a shipload to play two premium golf courses. Golf is my hobby and they were special courses I will remember for a long time. I do not drink or smoke. I figure golf is my vice and I can live with that.
  6. Shopping – my wife got hosed by the fires. We were forced out of our hotel on the day we planned to go shopping at the outlet malls.
  7. Food – Myrtle Beach is the chain restaurant capital of the world. Although we spent more per meal than I would have hoped (given the quality of the food), the overall spending was within our expectations because we did not eat out as much as we expected.
  8. Gasoline – cheap gas in the South is fantastic!!!


 

No comments: